Monday, January 24

To Be or Not To Be

So I finished up my first bead embroidered broach this weekend.  Like I said, it's just a simple, but at least I think, pretty little broach.  I used a cat's eye cab for the center and pink, blue, and silver beads around the outside. 

I'm happy with the beading, I think that turned out really nice.  And I'm happy with the moleskin type fabric I used to sew on.  It was easy to sew through, but still really tough and didn't really fray.

But what I'm not happy with was the pin back.  I thought I had some pin backs.  No I swear I had them.  Maybe they got misplaced in the move, maybe I've lost them, I'm not sure.  But what I do know is I didn't have any.  So I ran up to the craft store to pick some up.  Well they only had the pin backs with the little locking mechanism on the back.  And I'm not happy with this.  I don't really like those pin backs that much because I feel like the little mechanism always breaks.  And once I put the one I bought through the leather, the little mechanism doesn't even work because it can't turn.  :-(  So now I'm trying to find just the simple pin backs that don't have the mechanism.  And boy is it harder then planned.  I thought they would be easy to find, but I'm not having any luck.  I'll just keep looking until I find something I like.

What do you use for pin backs on your broaches?  Do you use the little locking pin backs or something else?  And do you back your work with leather or do you use a thinner fabric so the locking mechanism will work? 

And because of this, my first giveaway of the year will be postponed until I can figure out the whole pin back dilemma with this broach.  But as soon as I figure it out, you will be able to win that little beauty above.  So stay tuned for an update on that.   

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails