Thursday, July 19

Branching out

I have been working diligently on some new items for a pow wow I was invited to.  I'm pretty excited about being invited.  They had very nice things to say about my work, which I must admit, made me blush a bit.  But  they also requested that I bring more "traditional looking things".  So I'm trying to put my own little twist on traditional Native American beadwork.  I'll have some pictures of that soon.  Then you can tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.

But I've also been working on more crochet.  I know, who would have know I would have loved it so much.  It's crazy.

I've been working on crocheting some baskets.  I found a great little tutorial at Design Sponge, that sparked my interest.  I looked over the project and then went and raided my craft supplies to see if I would have anything that would work.  Luckily I have quite a few materials I wanted to try.

Now looking at the tutorial, I decided that it was pretty much the same as making a hat, you just use a fiber that is a little bit more stiff and doesn't have much stretch.  Awesome, I know how to make a hat, I can totaly make a bowl.

So here's the two I have made so far.


Sorry, the little white bowl is washed out, but you get the idea.  The little one was based on the tutorial found at Design Sponge and the second large one was just something I was experimenting with.

The smaller bowl was made using my mason rope that I used to make my rope jar in both single crochet and half double crochet.  It made a pretty, shiny little bowl that would be great for change or other small things.  As you can see, a spare screw from our bathroom remodel made it's way in there. 


The larger bowl was made using waxed cotton (I have so much) and half double crochet.  It has a much different feel, but I still like it.

As you can see, I still need to finish up the ends.  I haven't decided how I am going to do this yet, but I'll figure it out.  I have a few ideas.  The best part of these guys are how fast they work up.  I made the larger one in between coats of paint (bathroom remodel).

What do you think?  Are they something that you would use?  Have you done anything like this and do you have any suggestions?  I'd love to hear from all of you.

Always stay creative my friends.     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They turned out great! It's always fun to try an new skill like this. How cool that you've been invited to a pow wow too- wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails