Tuesday, June 22

You gotta love living in the Midwest!

EBW challenge piece in progress
So after an exhausting couple of weeks, I was really looking forward to spending Monday relaxing a bit.  I just wanted to sit down and work on my current challenge piece.  I really need to get my butt going, I only have a couple of weeks to get this bad boy done and I just started.  That was my plan, run to the store, make dinner, and then sit down and work on this challenge piece.    Oh how that didn't happen.

We ran to the store after work, did all our grocery shopping, which I have been putting off for quite some time.  We got home, put all the groceries away and were discussing what we wanted for dinner when the sirens went off.


Basement window as it stormed, yes that's water!
Now we only live two houses from the Fire Department, so we're use to the sirens.  But this was a continuous one, and if you're from the Midwest, you know what that means, tornadoes.  So on went the local station and sure enough there was a tornado warning for our county and about three severe storms headed our way.

So I packed up all the animals and to the basement we went.  We brought a lap top and what not with us so we could keep up with what was going on.  And as we sat down there we could hear the rain and hail hitting the house.  By this time there were three tornado warnings issued, not watches, warnings!!!!  The sirens kept going off and we just sat and waited.  And the all of a sudden Nacho jumped up from behind the couch and just gave us a crazy look (she was hiding behind the couch).  We couldn't figure out what brought her out of hiding, well we soon relized it was the large quantity of water pouring in through the basement window.  The water was coming down so hard that it was over flowing the gutters and filling all of the basement windows.  There wasn't much we could do, so we just moved things around and started pushing the water towards the drain as it poured into the basement.  Nacho was not amused.  She just sat on the couch with worried face.  So even after the storms passed, at a little bit after 9:00, we were up trying to clean up as much of the basement as we could.  So much for that relaxing night I was hoping for.

I think they said WI had six tornado warnings total.  Tonight is supposed to be strong storms again, but hopefully not this bad.  We don't need to deal with flooding again.  J stayed home from work today to finish the clean up.  Hopefully there isn't too much damage.  So I really love living in the Midwest.  Heat, snow, tornadoes, flooding, etc, etc.  Gotta love the Midwest.  Hopefully I'll be able to work on my challenge piece tonight and not have to mop up water :-(  

3 comments:

Karen said...

We have been having the same crazy weather here in Indiana. My poor Mom, her dog goes nuts in storms.

Anna said...

I feel for you...Ohio here! Luckily we don't get the tornadoes so much, but we had thunder & lightning so hard & heavy this morning (530am) it woke all of us from a dead sleep! Including poor Sadie-dog who was not happy with the ozone smell or the close strikes! Hope all is OK for you tonight.

storybeader said...

yes, we live in Oklahoma, but I haven't seen a tornado yet (knock on wood) in the 30 years I've lived here. Sorry you had a flood - good thing you had drains down there! Love your challenge piece so far - can't wait to see it finished!

Related Posts with Thumbnails