Sunday, July 18

My Secret Garden

Close up of the secret garden cuff
So last month I was posting pictures of my daily progress of my newest bead embroidery cuff.  Then nothing.  I finished it and I never ever got around to posting the finished results.  Well that was because I was too lazy to get out my camera and light box, see earlier story.

So this morning I decided enough was enough.  I had a collection of items that needed to be photographed and I wasn't going to wait until the pile got overwhelming.  So out with the camera and light tent.

This cuff was supposed to be for the EBW July challenge, but I didn't get it done in time.  I probably shouldn't have waited until a week and a half before the deadline to start.  But better luck next time, right?!?  The theme was secret garden and this was my interpretation.

Front side of the secret garden cuff
I'm really enjoying bead embroidery.  It makes me happy and I'm able to embellish and what not more then with peyote.  And to think a few years ago I said I would never ever try bead embroidery again.  That just taught me to never jump straight into a huge project the first time I try something. But I digress.

I used a combination of Toho bead mixes as well as bead mixes I made myself for this cuff.  I also got out my charm stash I've been collecting for years.  There is a little pewter frog and turtle in this secret garden as well as a bright purple butter fly and little birdies.  I added little pops of color with orange, purple, and yellow seed beads (these are supposed to be flowers).  I ordered a mixed bag of cat eye cabs with my last bead order and I threw a few of those in there too.  Hey it's a secret garden right, I can add what ever I want to it.  ☺  I then finished it off with some nice brown leather and snaps.

This is a pretty good sized cuff, but I love them that way.  It's like having a little piece of art on your arm.  And I do have to say this cuff really seemed to get a lot of people attention at the art shows I brought it too.  Everyone picked it up and told me how much they liked it.  So I'm glad others like it as much as I do.  So like I said, hopefully I actually get to enter my next challenge piece and I won't miss the deadline.   
Secret Garden Cuff

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I really like the technique you used to attach he piece to leather, then applied the snaps to the leather. I think I will try that with my next cuff.

I watched your progress on the cuff, and am ashamed to say I probably didn't comment. Its just gorgeous!!
Carol

Victoria said...

Thank you Carol. I also am notoriously bad about not commenting. I read all my favorite blogs almost everyday, and then almost never comment. I should probably work on that. :)

Unknown said...

That is really really cool! Great work!

Victoria said...

Thank you Sherri :-)

Karen said...

That is so beautiful. You would have won if you had entered. I am curious, do most people wear cuffs when they dress up to go out or wear them all the time like one would wear a watch. I think they are beautiful

Victoria said...

Thank you Karen. I wear cuffs all the time. I love them, but I think it really depends on the person. Some will only wear them only when they dress up, some are like me and wear them all the time, and some don't wear them they just like to collect them. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails