Monday, October 14

Dress for DAIS Fashion Show Pre-sale recap

Wow, where have I been?  I've been lucky to get one or two posts a week in.  I've just been so exhausted lately.  I get done with work and I don't want to do anything but take a nap, eat, and then go to bed.  It's been a tough couple of weeks.  I'm working on trying to change that and I hope I have a little extra energy soon.

This past week was the Dress for DAIS fashion show.  I've never been to a fashion show before, so it was an interesting experience.  It was a lot of fun.  There were a number of really cool vendors and the fashion show had some really cute clothes.

This was the first indoor show I've done in a long time.  I seriously haven't done an indoor show for about six or seven years.  So it was like I was starting from scratch.


Here is my setup.  What do you guys think?  I was pretty proud of it myself.  They told us that tables would be 8 foot tables, but I had a feeling they would be only 6 foot.  I was right.  But it was okay because I planned for that and I think it turned out pretty nice.

And yes, the view was spectacular wasn't it?  I can't wait for them to finish that construction, it feels like they've been working on it forever.  But you could see the gold dome of the capital building, which is quite lovely.


I made a small earring display with a frame I picked up at the thrift store for a few bucks.  I painted the frame purple and added the lace, which was also a thrift store find.  It's sitting on a cute little black easel.

I also made some really simple chalk board signs.  I just picked up some wooden rounds at Micheal's and painted them with chalk board paint.  I plan on making little stands for them, but I didn't have time for this show.


I picked up this cute case at the thrift store as well.  I think it was meant to hold cds, but it worked perfectly for the boxes the sets are in.  I was trying to figure out a way to add some really, really small lights to it to make it a little brighter.  That's my next project.  I also have to change where the price tags are on these sets.  A lot of people couldn't find the prices and had to ask.  I know that makes people uncomfortable and less likely to buy, so that will be changing for the next show.

I also grabbed our little silver owl off the side table in the living room.  I love him and I thought he would be perfect for a little decoration.


I used some black beans in my divided trays to display my triangle necklaces and beaded embroidered pendents.  I used some small creates (thrift store as well) to hold up one of the trays.

I also used some really beautiful ceramic tile that I got at the ReStore to divided up and organize the table.  I was really happy with how it worked.  The only draw back is that it is almost the exact same color as my table cloths, so I might have to think of a way to make them stand out.

I don't normally use any color in my displays because I want the beadwork to speak for itself, but I have to say, I'm pretty happy with all the colorful displays.  I'm glad I decided to make the change.  I think it's fun but still elegant.  And I made sure to pick colors that were in my sign, so that everything would match nicely.

I had a lot of people stop and look at things and I gave away a lot of cards and even a few buttons.


A lot of people were in love with this cuff.  I had a lot of people try it on and I even had a few that almost took it home.  But alas it did not sell, so it will be up on etsy soon.

That's okay.  I did sell a few pieces and I even got a custom order, which is awesome.  One woman loved the necklace I was wearing so much, that she told me she had to have one.  That's so cool.  So I have a full board of custom orders right now, but that's a good thing.

So overall I thought the show was fantastic and if I'm invited back next year, I will jump at the chance.  I met so many cool people and really did have a good time.

And J got to check out our new library.  It's next door to the Overture Center and it's brand spankin' new.  J had a meeting and some homework to do, so after helping me set up, he went over there to work.  He said it was very nice and I should check it out.  Someday I will :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails